As part of the Carers Hub we have a Young Adult Carers service (YAC) which is specifically aimed at carers aged between 16 to 25 years. We recognise that many adult carer’s services are geared towards the elderly and therefore wanted to provide a service more suitable for the needs of young adults.
What issues do Young Adult Carers face?
- Limited opportunities to socialise and visit friends
- Problems meeting educational demands at school, college and university
- Difficulties accessing work opportunities
- Feelings of guilt, anxiety, stress and worry
- Concerns about moving to a new home and leaving their family and the person who needs support.
What can the Young Adult Carers Service do for you?
- Aims to support young carers in the transition from childhood to adulthood
- Can provide support for social, emotional and educational needs
- Relieve stress and isolation
- Raise awareness
- Enable Young Adult Carers to meet other carers
- Give Young Adult Carers a voice
The service offers:
- One-to-one and group support
- Advice and information
- Respite and activity breaks
- Signpost to relevant services
If you think you think you may be a Young Adult Carer, or know someone who is, you can access a referral form here or alternatively contact Helen Munro at Helen.Munro@pkavs.org.uk or Tel: 01738 567076