Share this page

Financial Assistance/Advice

The benefits system for carers is complex and often carers don’t have the time to go through all the information in relation to financial assistance. Below is an introduction to benefits with key contacts if you require further information or advice.

Introduction to Benefits:

Means-tested: Only paid if you have low income and/or capital i.e. Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Income Support, Employment & Support Allowance, Pension Credit

Non-means tested: Doesn’t involve a detailed investigation of your income but has some conditions i.e. being a carer, having an illness or disability or being state retirement age.  You could be entitled to benefits such as Carers Allowance (CA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or State Retirement Pension (SRP)

Other Financial Help

Often financial help is dependent on what other benefits you are receiving. However, there are other forms of financial aid that you may be entitled to as Carers. Some of these include:

  • Help with Council Tax
  • Protecting your Pension
  • Adapting your home
  • Help with fuel costs
  • Help with health costs
  • Budgeting loans
  • Help from your local council

For more information on these and to find out if you may be entitled to any of these supports please contact or call them on 01738 476900.

You could also contact the Carers UK Advice line on 0808 8087777 or email for advice and information.

You may find this Carers Scotland document useful for further information and advice: Looking after Someone

Last Modified: 05 April 2018

Your Questions

Who would we contact in a crisis?

What benefits am I entitled to?

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?

Any Questions?

Get help, information and tips from professionals and carers.


We ask for your details just to make sure you are not a robot. We will not share this with anyone else

Click here to make a referral to PKAVS Carers Hub

Hot off the press!

Hot off the press!

Independent Inquiry into Mental Health Services in Tayside
ALLIANCE Engagement Events
Second Wednesday of each month
The Bridge Project
What happens when caring changes?
Every month
Perth Me Time Carers Support Group
Perth Me Time Carers Support Group

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?