Share this page

Benefits for carers

Carers Allowance

The main state benefit that carers can apply for is Carers Allowance - this is the only benefit specifically for carers, however not all carers will qualify for this benefit.

You don’t have to be living with the person you care for or related to them but there are some conditions attached to this benefit, including:

  • You must be spending at least 35 hours a week caring for the person.
  • The person you care for must be receiving one of the following:
    • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at middle or highest rate of the care component
    • Attendance Allowance (AA), any rate
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) any rate of the daily living component
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement benefit.
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic rate with War Disablement Pension.
  • You must be aged 16 or over.
  • You must be earning less than £110 a week (though some income may not be counted).
  • You must not be in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more.
  • Have been in Scotland/England/Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years.
  • You normally live in Scotland/England/Wales or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces.
  • Not subject to immigration control.

How much is Carers Allowance?

At the moment Carers Allowance is £62.10 a week. However before making a claim, always check with the person you are caring for as your claim may affect any means tested benefits they are receiving.

For more information on Carers Allowance and to find out if you may be entitled to this please contact or call them on 01738 476900.

Please  note: the Carers Allowance DS700 forms and notes have been updated with new versions. Please ensure you are using the correct forms when making a claim if you are unable to complete the form online. The link below will take you to the correct forms.

Carers Allowance Forms and Notes

Personal Independence Payment (PIP):

Please note, that Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people with a long-term health condition or disability aged 16 to 64. 

PIP is a benefit that can be paid to anyone who has a long-term health condition or disability and if they have difficulties with mobility and/or ‘daily living’ activities. However they must meet the following criteria:

  • Aged between 16 to 64 years
  • Had difficulties with daily living and/or mobility for 3 months and expect this to last at least 9 months (Exceptions for those who are terminally ill)

For more information about PIP see

Disability Living Allowance (for children) (DLA):

DLA is an allowance for children if they have a disability or health condition which requires them to have more care or mobility needs than another child their age. This is providing that the child is:

  • Under 16
  • Had difficulties for 3 months or more and these difficulties are expected to last at least 6 months (Exceptions for those who are terminally ill)

 For more information about DLA please see

Attendance Allowance (AA):

AA is a benefit for a person with a disability who are 65 years or above to help with personal care because you are physically or mentally disabled. You could get £55.10 or £82.30 a week. It is paid at two different rates depending on the level of care that you need because of your disability.

It is for people who:

  • Are not permanently in hospital
  • Have had care needs for the past 6 months

For more information about Attendance Allowance please see

Further Information:

PIP and AA may still be payable if the person in question is employed. In addition, they are not counted as income for the purposes of calculating means-tested benefits.

A working age person receiving DLA or PIP may also be entitled to claim means-tested benefits such as Employment & Support Allowance if they are also unable to work due to an illness or disability.

Carers Credit

Many carers don't realise that they are missing out on a National Insurance credit. Each year's credit could boost their State Pension by £230 a year once they reach State Pension age. Please view the short video below for more information or visit 

For further information and advice on any of the above benefits please email or call them on 01738 476900.

Your Questions

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?

What benefits am I entitled to?

Who would we contact in a crisis?

Any Questions?

Get help, information and tips from professionals and carers.


We ask for your details just to make sure you are not a robot. We will not share this with anyone else

This is only a small breakdown of information in relation to benefits for carers, it can be a complex and confusing process.

Useful Contacts:

Welfare Rights

Carers Scotland

  • 0808 808 7777



We need a Respitality volunteer!

We need a Respitality volunteer!

12 JUL
Mindspace Peer Support Hub Information Drop In
Mindspace Peer Support Hub Information Drop-In
Every month
Perth Carers Support Group
Perth Carers Support Group
21 MAR
Perth Decides
Perth Decides

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?